|As part of the expansion of Massachusetts General Hospital onto the Historic Charles St. Jail Site in Boston, NER Construction Management documented, removed, salvaged and stored, and then reinstalled the salvaged Historic Stone veneer. The new MGH Ambulatory Building was being built over the existing East Wing of the jail built in 1824, with a parking garage being built below.
To accomplish this work, NER was contracted to document and salvage over 900 Historic stone, some of which were over 2500 lbs, and store them off site for future installation. The stone included window surrounds, quoins, veneer, water table, and base anchored to the brick structure, many of which included original chisel marks and rock-faced edges. The stone had to be modified at the bed joints to accept new anchor connections and allow for installation on the new CMU back up walls built over the new garage, in the new lobby of the building.
In addition to the technical aspects of removing and resetting this historic stone, this work included coordination of the new anchorage system with the cavity waterproofing, flashings, and connections. All anchorage was specified on a "performance" basis with NER sub-contracting anchorage design, anchorage shop drawings, and providing coordination details for all waterproofing and flashing with the new system. The Charles Street Jail on Charles St, Boston, Massachusetts, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has completely been integrated into the fabric of the Massachusetts General Hospital Campus.